Tuesday, May 24, 2011

mail order meds

I have to get 2 mail order injectable medications for this cycle,

Medication #5 - Follistim - This is a 'pen' that you attach a small (insuline-like) needle to the end, dial your dose and inject it into the belly. This medication is meant to help the follicles grow.

Science lesson - A woman's body usually has one dominant follicle form during her cycle. Around day 12-14 of her cycle, the follicle releases an egg and we all know what happens after that.

Medication #6 - HCG - This comes in a vial. You have to draw it up into a syringe and inject it with a not-so-small needle into the belly. This is also known as the 'trigger shot'. It tells the follicles to release the egg it is holding.

Here's where the fun part comes in. I was told that the mail order pharmacy will be calling me to get my insurance information and they will be sending me my medications. So late yesterday afternoon they called, I gave them my information and they said someone would be calling me back with the cost. This morning I get a phone call, but they tell me that in order for my insurance to cover any of the cost I have to get it from their 'specialty' pharmacy. Here's where it gets complicated.

I have Aetna medical insurance and a completely different pharmacy insurance. I was told I needed to get my medication from "Aetna Specialty Pharmacy." The phone number I was given turned out to be a fax number. So I used my brain and decided to call the customer service number, thinking I would be transfered to the person I needed. Silly me. The CSR I spoke with said I needed to contact my pharmacy insurance because my Aetna coverage was for medical only. Okay... I called the mail order pharmacy back to verify I had my information right. Turns out they gave me the wrong number to call. Now I have the right number so I call it and I get to talk to Mr. Attitude.

"When did they send the prescription over?"
"They faxed it this morning."
"Well it's not in the system."
"Okay, so what do I need to do?"
"Well, we have a 48 hr process time, so it may just not have made it into our system yet."
"That's not going to work for me because I HAVE to have one of those medications by noon on Saturday."
"That will work then. It's faxed on Tuesday, processed on Thursday and we can overnight you the medication."
"And if their is another problem?"
"You'll just have to deal with that if it happens."

Awesome! I called again this afternoon in hopes that whoever is in charge of taking paper off the fax machine has done their job, but I had no luck. So I'm still waiting and desperately hoping I will get my medication in time.

Can anyone tell me why and Aetna CSR doesn't know that they have their own pharmacy? I still can't figure that one out.

No comments:

Post a Comment