Friday, May 27, 2011

Christmas, New Years, and surgeries

Ok, back to the last journey.

Christmas 2008
We couldn't wait any longer. Something had to get moving. Since there was no immediate hope for a cadaver bone, we decided to get moving on the fertility front. After a visit to Dr. P we were instructed to have timed intercourse, he wanted to try the least invasive methods first. We were supposed to have sex 'every other day between days 10 and 20 of my cycle.' Some of you might think, "Awesome! That's guaranteed sex 6 times in 10 days." Think about this... You 'get' to have sex with your spouse on set days at set times. It kind of kills the romance.

We still have to pay the bills, so we both occasionally have long, exhausting days at work. We still have to keep the house running, so we still have to do laundry, dishes, cook, and clean. But we still 'get' to have sex...every other day for 10 days. So we do what we are told to do and try our best to enjoy the moments.

One thing you hear in the infertility world a lot is how draining the '2 weeks wait' is. This is referring to the 2 weeks between conception and a missed period. Now imagine that over Chirstmas. I had a good Christmas with our families, but we were supposed to have a baby by then. This was supposed to be his/her first Christmas and I wasn't even pregnant. Kinda makes the holidays a drag. And of course, right after Christmas we found out that we weren't pregnant. Not really surprising.

With New Year's we tried to 'make a new start.' This would be the year that we get pregnant and have a baby...damn it! Since the timed intercourse didn't work, we decided to get my other problems taken care of, then jump back into fertility treatments full speed. In, mostly lost, hopes we did times intercourse in January. Again, not pregnant.

So in February I had surgery on my ankle. The doc said if I needed to replace any bone or cartilage he would just take it from my knee. It wasn't exactly ideal, but it would fix my problem and I could do strengthening exercises for my knee. Fortunately, nothing had to be replaced! I just needed to have a TON of scar tissue removed and a little bit of cartilage removed. This was awesome news because I would only be off my leg for 2 weeks instead of 2 months. I figured, while I'm out of the baby making game, let's just get my wisdom teeth out. The bother me all the time and all 4 have to be surgically removed. So I did it. 3 weeks after my ankle surgery, I had my oral surgery. And 2 weeks later I was healed enough to get the party started.

No comments:

Post a Comment