Monday, June 6, 2011

Current Events

I went in for an ultrasound Friday and I had 2 follicles that were noteworthy. On the right, I had one measuring about 15mm and on the left, 13mm. Both had grown, but neither was big enough. My E2 (estridiol) measured at 131! This is fantastic for follicles of this size.

The nurse gave me my Gonal shot for Friday, and since I am out of my injectible pen she gave me sample size injections. The dose is the same but the procedure is very different. With the pen I twisted the end to the dose I need, clean the injection site with alcohol, insert the needle (comparable to an insulin needle...very tiny) then push the end of the pen to dose out the medication. Easy. Now with the samples we have to put an 18 gauge needle (really big) on a syringe and push the saline water into the medication vial to mix it with the powder, take the 18 needle off (thankfully) and put on the tiny needle. Then draw up the medication out of the vial, clean the injection site, then insert the needle and inject the medication. Fun...right?

I have an aversion to injecting myself with a full fledged needle and syringe combo, so my husband gets to help out there. Saturday we decided to go to the mall so I brought my medication with me. When the time came (this medication needs to be given at about the same time every day) we tried to find a place where I could take my medication without making other people think I'm shooting up. So we went into the family bathroom and proceeded to mix my medication and...oops, while pulling the medication into the syringe, we accidentally pull the plunger out the bottom and my medication goes on the floor.

The on-call nurse tells me that they will be in the office Sunday and I can just come up there and pick up another sample...Thank YOU!!!

This morning I went in for another ultrasound and more blood work. The follicle on the left side is now about 17mm and the one on the right is now between 21-22mm!!!!! This means the IUI will be scheduled for Wednesday or Thursday depending on my E2 level.

I'm sooo excited, but I'm trying to keep my head on earth. I know this doesn't always have the outcome I hope for and I don't want to be an emotional wreck if it doesn't work. Easier said than done.

1 comment:

  1. DEFINITELY easier said than done... but hoping and praying for THE BEST to happen! and "the best" would be trips!!! hahaha...just kiddin!

    ReplyDelete